Hair Dandruff, which is also called seborrheic dermatitis (scientifically speaking) is an extremely common scalp disorder. It has been faced by many people and it happens mostly due to dry skin, dry scalp, irritated oily skin, inflamed skin conditions, extreme growth of fungus and bacteria on the scalp and many other factors. Moreover, it causes itchiness and extensive formation of the white dry skin flakes on the scalp.
Most of the dandruff cases can be controlled and treated by following a healthy hair care schedule and healthier shampoo. However, for some extreme cases, one might need to see a doctor and get a proper treatment. You can also try several simple natural and healthy home remedies. It is exactly that these remedies might take a longer time compared to medicine or treatment prescribed by doctors, however, it is believed to be a better treatment.
Remedies for Hair Dandruff and Itchy Scalp
Thanks to its antifungal and antiseptic properties of Indian Lilac which is also called neem, this plant can treat hair dandruff very effectively. Not only that, it also can help you in treating the itchy scalp, scalp acne as well as hair loss effectively.
- Boil a handful of Indian lilac leaves with four glasses of water
- Let it cool down to room temperature and strain it
- Use the solution as a hair rinse and do it for three to four times a week
Coconut oil can eliminate hair dandruff thanks to its antiseptic and antifungal properties. Moreover, it can also provide relief from itchiness and irritation as well as moisturize dry scalp.
- Take coconut oil and mix it with lemon juice in a ratio of 2:1
- Rub the solution on your scalp and give it a massage.
- Wash your hair thoroughly again with cold water for at least 20 minutes.
- Do it for two to three times weekly.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Using apple cider vinegar is very effective in removing hair dandruff. It can retain the pH level of the scalp balanced, therefore, inhibiting the yeast growth in your scalp. Moreover, it also works perfectly as a natural hair clarifier to clean clogged pores as well as hair follicles.
- Take 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and mix it with an equal volume of water
- Put about 12 – 18 drops of tea tree oil in the solution.
- Apply the solution on the scalp and give it a massage.
- Wash your hair thoroughly with water
- Keep doing this treatment for twice a week.
Due to the fact that baking soda works as a mild exfoliant, thereby it can absorb excess oil and get rid of dead skin cells. Moreover, it can balance the pH level in your scalp thereby, inhibit the growth of fungus and bacteria in the hair that causes hair dandruff.
- Let your hair run under a cold water tap and rub a handful of baking soda on your scalp
- After rubbing, you can rinse your hair with lukewarm water
- Repeat the process for a few times weekly for several weeks.
- However, do not shampoo your hair after this method has been adopted.
White vinegar is considered as one of the best natural home remedies for hair dandruff as it contains acetic acid which can inhibit the growth of fungus and bacteria on your scalp as well as relieve itchiness.
- Shampoo your hair as usual
- Mix two cups of water and one cup of vinegar
- Rinse your hair with the solution
- Another choice is that massage your scalp with a mixture of one part of olive oil, two parts of white vinegar and three parts of water. After 5 minutes, rinse off with water and shampoo your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Keep doing the process for 2 to 3 times a week.
By using extra – virgin olive oil regularly, scalp dryness can be treated effectively as olive oil can work as a natural moisturizer.
- Heat some of the extra virgin olive oil till it is warm.
- Use the olive to massage your hair scalp and then wrap your hair in a warm towel.
- Let it be for about 45 minutes or you can leave it overnight
- Shampoo your hair and use the conditioner to moisturize your hair.
- Repeat the process for several times a week.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains strong antifungal and antibacterial properties which entitle it to be a good treatment for hair dandruff.
- Add several drops of tea tree oil into your shampoo before you use it to wash your hair as usual.
- You can dilute the oil by mixing several drops of tea tree oil with coconut oil or olive oil.
- Apply the mixture to your hair, let it sit for half an hour or overnight and then rinse your hair.
Repeat the process several times a week.